Pages

hulu.com

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Defending champion Nadal passed fit to take on Fish







Save 10% on your entire order




Rafael Nadal inspects his injured foot during his victory over Juan Martin del Potro on Monday.

Defending champion Rafael Nadal has been passed fit to take on American Mardy Fish in the Wimbledon men's singles quarterfinals on Wednesday.
Top seed Nadal was a doubt to face Fish after being troubled with an injury to his left foot during Monday's last 16 win over Juan Martin del Potro.
However, the 25-year-old has now been given the all-clear to play after scans revealed the injury was not serious.
Nadal posted a message to his fans on his Facebook page, saying: "After the match I went to take an MRI at a London hospital.
"During the match I thought I had something serious -- but as the match went on the pain got better and thankfully the tests don't show an injury.
"I will practice today and I will play tomorrow -- thank you all for the support," added the world number one.
Nadal's message is in stark contrast to his mood after defeating del Potro in a hard-fought four-hour marathon played in blistering conditions.
The Spaniard told reporters he came close to retiring hurt during the first set and shook his head repeatedly during a 10-minute injury break while his foot received treatment from the trainer.
After the 7-6 3-6 7-6 6-4 victory, Nadal said: "I felt really bad during the first set. At 6-5 I felt terrible. I felt that I had broken my foot.
"The point at deuce and the point that gave me set point, I just felt terrible. I seriously didn't know at that moment if I had a chance to continue playing."
Nadal has suffered from several injury problems in recent years, notably when a knee problem meant he could not defend his Wimbledon title in 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment